Whats a clickTag ?
A clickTag accepts the click URL passed from the ad server and redirects the user and is embedded in the flash file. The clickTag is case sensitive and needs to be called as it is coded in the flash creative file and is better if a common standard is used every time.
Why a clickTag?
It’s useful as it helps the trafficker to change the URL of buttons or areas in the flash file given by developers without reaching out to them so its a much better solution than embedding them.
Why multiple clickTags?
Multiple clickTags are sometimes added by the creative developer when there are multiple areas(multiple click through) to click on the flash creative. Try this test page to have a clear understanding. Try clicking on all areas of the page to see different landing pages.
How to traffic such a flash creative?
Pretty easy if you keep few points in mind. Lets start.
1) Go to your line item and click on “Add Creatives”. Select “Custom Creative”.
2) Give a name to the creative and upload the flash file and fallback image(a same size image file which shows up in browser’s without flash player or in which flash player is disabled).
Upload the flash creative
3) Download/Copy this code > Click tracking code and paste it in the code snippet box.
4) Visit Flash clickTag Validator and upload your flash creative(.swf file) and submit. Things to note after submitting.
> Dimensions of the .swf file
> clickTag format of each click through and how many of them are there in the file. You can find it out by clicking each click-able area of the flash.
5) Lets get to work on the creative code. You will need to make few edits. Note that if using the flash file you downloaded from here then no need to make edits.
- Change the creative dimensions (ref above image).
- Change to PNG if using a png fallback image.
- Use the clickTag syntax you got by clicking on click-able area of the creative to edit the clickTag variables. Delete or add more if there are more clickTags.
- Edit the click-through URLs corresponding to the clickTag.
- Change the variables and set it to the one done in the above step.
- Save and test the preview.
- Enjoy and have a cup of coffee if you got it right or read through again to find errors 🙂
So there it is. Now you will be looking at the creative and clicking the hell out of it. Comments to improve the post or questions about Quantum Mechanics are welcome. 🙂